Banning order for man who acted 'appallingly' in Exeter centre
AN offender who persistently harassed shop and restaurant staff has been banned from entering the city centre.
Ibrahim Jabri has been given a two-year Anti-Social Behaviour Order after a court heard how he blighted the lives of shop owners in Exeter and parts of East Devon for more than 12 months.
This is the second Asbo for the 21-year-old (pictured), of Lymbourne Park, Sidmouth, who has previously spent time in jail for breaches of his first order.
Neighbourhood police in Honiton worked closely with officers in Exeter to secure the application.
NEW IN : for those cold winter nights highland check dog and cat beds in stock, fleecy and washable ideal for those nights snuggling by the fire...... available in 3 colourways
Contact: 01271 440626
Valid until: Saturday, January 25 2014
Sergeant Tony Shayler, neighbourhood team leader at Honiton, said: "This Asbo sends a clear message to Jabri that his behaviour is unacceptable. He has persistently harassed and intimidated shop staff and has been abusive and aggressive.
"He has also refused to leave premises when asked to do so.
"The granting of this Asbo is a credit to the neighbourhood team here in Honiton. Jabri used to live here and caused a lot of problems in this area."
The conditions of the order state that Jabri must not remain in any shop or residential property when asked to leave.
It also states that he must not enter Exeter city centre for six months or Lace Walk shopping centre in Honiton.
It states Jabri must not be in the company of Phillip Northmore or Ashley Brennan in any public place.
The Asbo has also been welcomed by Exeter city centre manager John Harvey, who said: "The bottom line is there is no excuse at all for behaving in the way that this individual has behaved.
"No shop worker and no cafe or bar worker in the city centre deserves to be treated in that way. What is good about this, is that it sends a very clear message from the magistrates that they are not prepared to tolerate that sort of behaviour."
However, Mr Harvey said he would like to see courts act more quickly against persistent anti-social behaviour offenders.
"Many people in the community would share my concerns and frustrations that it seems to take so long for magistrates to take more action," he said.
In 2010, Jabri was jailed for 32 weeks after pleading guilty to four breaches of an Asbo and one count of assault.
Sentencing, recorder Jeremy Wright told him: "Your conduct over the last few months until you were arrested was appalling. You were abusive, violent at times, and you have conducted yourself to the distress of a number of people in Sidmouth."