Charles ready to muck in as Argyle plot route away from danger zone
Defender Anthony Charles has described his move to Plymouth Argyle on a short-term deal as "a very good opportunity" and wants to play his part in ensuring the club escape relegation from the Football League.
Charles has signed for the Pilgrims until the end of the season after his contract at Northampton Town was terminated by mutual consent.
The 31-year-old centre-back was told by Northampton boss Aidy Boothroyd his chances of first-team football would be limited and he would not be offered new terms in the summer.
Charles had no hard feelings about his departure from Sixfields and is excited about the challenge ahead – both for him and his new club.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
His exit from Northampton came after Boothroyd re-signed former Cobblers centre-back – and Professional Footballers' Association chairman – Clarke Carlisle on a permanent move from York City at the start of January.
Charles said: "I had a conversation with the gaffer, Aidy Boothroyd, and he said opportunities were going to be few and far between.
"He thought it was a chance for me to speak to other clubs, rather than wait until the end of the season and notify me then.
"He was good enough to tell me now so I could get myself sorted. That's where this move has come from.
"Coming to a club the size of Plymouth is a very good opportunity for me."
Charles signed for Northampton in March 2012 and his home debut came when he played at left-back in a 0-0 draw against Argyle.
He made 11 appearances in all competitions for the Cobblers this season, and was also an unused substitute when they lost 3-2 to Argyle at Home Park in September.
Charles is one of four players who have been brought to relegation-threatened Argyle by manager John Sheridan in the past fortnight.
Sheridan's reign started with a 2-1 victory over Morecambe at Home Park last Saturday, but the Pilgrims are still in a lowly 22nd spot.
Charles said: "If you look at the league table, no club wants to be in this kind of position. So you know come January time there are going to be new faces and changes.
"It's a time now to get your momentum going, and the boys have done that at the weekend [against Morecambe]. I hope I can be part of that and help the lads carry it on.
"There are plenty of points to play for, but you don't want to be going into the last few games looking over your shoulder. You want to make sure you are in a comfortable position before then.
"We don't want to keep saying there are enough games. We have time on our side but we want to be pushing up as soon as possible."
He added: "I'm fully aware of the support this club gets, and it's in an area where a lot of people are going to be Plymouth fans.
"If we can get them behind us by going on a good run, it's something to build on.
"You can't say: 'A club this size shouldn't be in this position'. They are in this position so you have to do something about that.
"Bigger clubs than this have fallen through the leagues and you don't want to be part of it. I want to be part of pushing this club forward and, hopefully, we can do that."
Should Charles be successful in his aim with Argyle this season, it could lead to a longer-term deal for him at Home Park.
"I'm all for that," said Charles, who has previously won the Football Conference title with Barnet and Aldershot Town.
"At the minute, I'm here until the end of the season. I want to play. If I'm here longer, then I'm all for that as well."
Charles made his last appearance for Northampton in a 3-1 home win against Dagenham and Redbridge on January 1.
He said: "Fitness-wise, I'm fine. It's just a matter of getting back on that pitch and playing at three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon."