Derriford to throw open its doors for first time in a decade
Fans of medical dramas who wonder what a real life operating theatre looks like will be offered that chance to find out when the region’s biggest hospital throws open its doors.
Plymouth’s Derriford Hospital is inviting people in to take a look behind the scenes for its first open day for more than a decade.
On hand will be dozens of staff members, including those who regularly swap the wards of peacetime Devon for stints on the battlefields of Afghanistan.
Amanda Nash, head of communications and the organiser of the event, said there was a huge amount to see and a chance to satisfy the curiosity of anyone who wondered how the huge hospital functioned.
Tuesday 9th & Wednesday 10th. Carol (with over 16yrs experience) has 10% off - facials. Pedicures. Manicures. Body wraps. Spray tans. Waxing. Tinting. Perming
Terms: For 2 days only. With therapist Carol. Please quote "2 day special offer".
Contact: 01271 440617
Valid until: Thursday, December 12 2013
“We are a large hospital on one site so we will be providing maps with what is on in different places around the site,” she said.
“We hope to make these available on our website in the coming weeks.
“Please do come along and bring your family and friends. Whether we are your local hospital or your nearest specialist centre, we hope we can help you find out a little bit more.”
The open day will be held between 10am and 2pm on Saturday, September 28.
Activities on offer include:
* The chance to step inside an operating theatre and play a life-size operation game
* Meeting military staff
* Seeing the inside of a delivery room suite in the maternity unit
* A look inside emergency decontamination facilities
* A chance for children to bring their teddy bear to Derriford’s teddy bear hospital
* Find out about medical research and how it advances care
* A look around the hospital’s Discovery Library and Plymouth Medical Society’s Historic Collection
* Find out what all the fuss is about with hospital food by trying it
The Open Day will be followed by the hospital trust’s Annual General Meeting in the Post Graduate Medical Centre at 2pm.
This will start with a public question time with the board and members of the public are invited to submit questions.
Anyone with questions can call 01752 439060 or see the latest information on the blog: http://plymouthhospitalsblog.org