Fracking firm withdraws planning application
Fracking firm Cuadrilla has withdrawn an application seeking a six-month extension of its oil exploration in a Sussex village which has been the scene of protests.
The company said it has decided to submit a new planning application to cover the flow testing of the horizontal oil exploration well at its site in Lower Stumble, Balcombe.
A statement said: "The new application will cover the same well testing that is in the currently permitted activity but will include revised planning boundary lines showing the extent of the horizontal well being tested. It will not include additional drilling or any hydraulic fracturing.
"Our original planning application was approved in 2010 with a boundary delineation covering the surface drilling site area. Our decision to make a new application for the well testing activity, rather than an extension of previously approved activity, is to resolve any potential legal ambiguity around how the planning boundary should be drawn for a subsurface horizontal well.
NEW FROM SYMPLY - a wet dog food in a tray freshly steamed with real meat and veg you can see minimum of 68% meat content up to 72% in the adult trays.
Terms: Come and try tray at introductory price of £1
Contact: 01271 440626
Valid until: Friday, January 31 2014
"As this is a new planning application, the county council will consult with interested third parties and we will have the opportunity for further engagement with Balcombe residents about our well testing plans.
"We will continue doing all we can to conclude our exploration work in a safe, responsible and timely manner."
Greenpeace energy campaigner Leila Deen said Cuadrilla's plans for Balcombe were a "dog's dinner".