Fridge blaze destroys kitchen in Plymouth house
AN ELECTRICAL fault in a fridge caused a fire which destroyed the kitchen of a house in Peverell.
Thirteen firefighters battled the blaze at the house in Old Park Road on Sunday evening.
Three appliances from Greenbank and Crownhill were called to the scene at about 7pm.
Watch commander Phil Quarmby said there were six people in the house – an adult, three teenagers and two children. They spotted the fire and got out safely, he said, but the kitchen was well alight by the time the firefighters arrived.
NEW FROM SYMPLY - a wet dog food in a tray freshly steamed with real meat and veg you can see minimum of 68% meat content up to 72% in the adult trays.
Terms: Come and try tray at introductory price of £1
Contact: 01271 440626
Valid until: Friday, January 31 2014
The blaze wrecked the kitchen and left the rest of the house smoke-damaged.
"The smoke detector didn't go off until after the people in the house spotted the fire," Mr Quarmby said.
"The fire service would like to emphasise the need to have a smoke alarm on every level of a house."
He said that if the fire had happened while the occupants of the house were sleeping there would have been a problem.