Hedgehog saved from slow death trapped in a badminton net
This unlucky hedgehog got itself into a prickly situation after becoming tangled – in a badminton net.
The spikey mammal, with the net caught in its spines and mouth, became so tightly entwined it was unable to feed and faced a slow death.
But a concerned homeowner spotted the stricken creature in the garden and called in the RSPCA.
He was taken to West Hatch Wildlife centre in Taunton, where vets administered an anaesthetic and cut away the net. The hedgehog was underweight, weak and in clear discomfort but made a quick recovery following food and care.
RSPCA animal collection officer Dudley Clements said: "There was no way this little fella was going anywhere – the netting worked like Velcro and he was thoroughly entangled.
"This serves as a reminder for people who use garden sports sets to always ensure they are safely removed and stored.
"Any discarded netting should be safely placed in a bin and I would ask anyone with a net in their garden to please consider the consequences for animals and birds and make frequent checks so that any trapped wildlife may be freed.
"It may have looked like a simple kid's badminton net but it was hazardous for this hedgehog. Had we not been called he would not have survived. He had a lucky escape."
It is hoped the hedgehog, which was found in Chard, will soon be strong enough to be released back to the wild.