Hundreds of people evacuated from Barnstaple Civic Centre
More than 400 people were evacuated from the civic centre in Barnstaple this afternoon after the building’s smoke alarm was activated.
The building was evacuated at 1.45pm which meant hundreds of staff from both North Devon Council and Devon County Council, who occupy the civic centre, had to assemble on the car park next to the estuary.
A fire crew from Barnstaple were called out and ensured the building was safe.
Lance Wrey, the facilities manager at the civic centre, said a smoke alarm on the 9th floor had a faulty electrical component which caused it to go off.
NEW IN : for those cold winter nights highland check dog and cat beds in stock, fleecy and washable ideal for those nights snuggling by the fire...... available in 3 colourways
Contact: 01271 440626
Valid until: Saturday, January 25 2014
He said: “It is always a bit of a shock when it goes it off when it isn’t a planned testing, but we had no problems and everyone was evacuated to the assembly point.
“It is quite a big task as we have to close off the road. We are all back inside now and luckily it had stopped raining.”