Man accused of raping drunk schoolgirl in Devonport Park faces new trial
A NEW trial is to be held for a man accused of raping a drunken schoolgirl in a park.
Craig Goldstone (pictured above), aged 29, denies sexually assaulting the teenager in Devonport Park on July 5 last year.
A jury last week failed to reach a verdict in a trial at Plymouth Crown Court.
Lee Bremridge, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said that the prosecution would continue.
He added that the complainant, who gave evidence, had been consulted about the decision.
Ali Rafati, for Goldstone, said that the trial could not be fixed for between six and eight weeks.
Goldstone, of no fixed address, remains to be sentenced after admitting to escaping from lawful custody after his arrest. The jury heard he slipped out of Charles Cross Police Station through an unlocked door after being left on his own.
Judge Graham Cottle remanded Goldstone in custody until a date to be fixed.