New Plymouth restaurant Rhodes at the Dome evacuated after kitchen blaze
FIRE crews were called to the Rhodes @ The Dome restaurant last night after emergency services said a fire broke out in the kitchen.
The incident at the Hoe restaurant was called in just after 6.30pm and was under control by 7.30pm.
Head chef Liam Rutherford was treated for smoke inhalation and 75 customers were evacuated.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: "There was a fire involving a commercial cooking range. The building was evacuated.
£3 Off Instant Passport / ID Photos - Fully Guaranteed ServiceView details
Don't trust the photo booths? Get set for your Summer Holidays with J&A Cameras. We are offering £3 Off our Passport Office Approved Instore Passport Photo Service so come in and get it done properly!
Terms: Instant passport photos guaranteed to be correct with the passport office, or we will re-take them for free. No refunds will be given as an alternative. Valid until June 30th 2013.
Contact: 01271 447066
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
"There were no other injuries."
Restaurant manager David Pover said: "One of the small ovens at the side of the kitchen smoked quite heavily so we evacuated the restaurant and called the fire service."
The £1.5million waterside restaurant opened on January 23, with a glitzy VIP event attracting some of the city's most recognisable faces.
It is celebrity chef Gary Rhodes' only venue outside London, although he is not a regular in the kitchen himself.
The prominent building, with stunning views, had sat empty since 2006, when the Plymouth Dome visitor centre shut its doors for the final time.