Protect yourself from the 'silent killer', says MP
PROTECT your home, get a carbon monoxide alarm and get your boiler checked, a local MP has said.
Plymouth Sutton and Devonport MP Oliver Colvile is urging people across the region to be 'carbon monoxide safe' this winter, as families start switching on their boilers as the colder weather approaches.
City residents are being strongly encouraged to take appropriate steps to ensure their homes are properly protected against the threat of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Mr Colvile is calling upon all householders in Plymouth Sutton and Devonport and the wider area to have their boiler serviced by a certified technician every 12 months and install an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their homes to ensure that families are protected from potential leaks of the lethal gas. The colourless, odourless gas, often dubbed the 'silent killer', can kill quickly if inhaled in high concentrations. The symptoms of poisoning are similar to flu or food poisoning, and include headaches, nausea and dizziness. Mr Colvile's call is part of a new national campaign urging people across the UK to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning this winter.
Mr Colvile said: "It is absolutely vital that people understand the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and how we can all protect our homes and families from the threat.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"The message is simple – get your boiler serviced and get an audible carbon monoxide alarm. These cheap, simple steps could be the difference between your family's safety, and tragedy. I cannot urge people enough: get a carbon monoxide alarm and get your boiler checked."
Local residents are also being encouraged to look for warning signs that domestic gas appliances aren't working correctly.
Warning signs include lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue flames, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room. Residents should also make sure only a 'Gas Safe registered' engineer works on their gas appliances.