Seconds from disaster as fire threatens gas cylinders in van
Firefighters narrowly averted a "catastrophe" after a van carrying propane cylinders was set alight.
Two men have been arrested by police on suspicion of arson after the fire in Rochford Crescent, Ernesettle, Plymouth, late on Sunday night.
Residents were alerted by the sound of a small explosion at about 11pm, and called the fire brigade.
Dave Marsh, watch manager at the city's Crownhill fire station, said lives and property were put at risk.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
"It's quite fortunate we were able to get there in time or the consequences of an explosion would have been quite catastrophic.
"Fortunately it was confined to the vehicle, but there was a potential risk to life."
He said that the Vauxhall Corsa Combo van, which was parked on the road, was not from the area.
A police investigation into the blaze is continuing.