Torquay firefighters' prompt response 'vital'
FOUR people were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire at a house in Torquay.
Two of Torquay's full-time fire pumps were sent to the terrace property in Empire Road in the Plainmoor area after reports of a blaze in the kitchen.
When firefighters arrived they found an adult, a teenager and two children free of the property.
They were not seriously hurt but did require some oxygen treatment.
BRAND NEW FORD B-MAX ZETEC 1.0 ECOBOOST FOR ONLY £7685*View details
DRIVE AWAY A BRAND NEW FORD B-MAX ZETEC FOR ONLY £7685.
1.0 100PS Manual
Electric Windows & Mirrors
Quickclear Heated Windscreen
15" Alloy Wheels
Bluetooth with Ford Sync
*Drive away from only £7685 and then pay nothing for 24 months!
Contact: 01626 240583
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
They were later taken to Torbay Hospital as a precaution.
The fire had started in the cooker and the kitchen was severely damaged by fire. The rest of the house was damaged by smoke.
Incident commander Mark Wileman said the two crews had arrived within eight minutes of the initial call. The house had a working smoke detector.
He said this prompt response had been vital in keeping damage to a minimum and making sure everybody was safe.
He said proposed cuts to the full-time crewing at Torquay station may mean that in future such a response may not be possible.
The incident happened on Thursday, January 24, at 5.45pm.
Crews used two breathing apparatus to put the fire out, one hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera. A fan was used to clear smoke.