Trust to save old warship 'under threat'
The trust set up to try to save scrapped warship HMS Plymouth appeared to be falling apart this week.
Chris Swift, head of the HMS Plymouth Trust media operation, quit earlier this year. And Penelope Brudenell-Pryke, a trust director, revealed she too was on the verge of leaving.
But HMS Plymouth – the last surviving warship to be involved in the Falklands War 30 years ago – remains at her Birkenhead berth, in spite of moves to send her to the breaker's yard.
Ms Brudenell-Pryke said she was on the verge of leaving the trust last week. She said she was very disappointed with the poor communication with organisations outside the trust.
From Monday to Friday,
Come and enjoy our special menu at £12 per person for 3 course-meal.
Not in conjunction with any other offers.
From Monday to Friday for lunch and dinner.
Subject to availability.
Contact: 01752 424381
Valid until: Wednesday, July 31 2013
"There was a lot of negativity from people who refused to be involved with the trust and it has just hampered progress," she said, refusing to elaborate.
Last October veterans dealt a blow to the campaign when the HMS Plymouth Association pulled out of the trust. The association said it reluctantly concluded that "the end is in sight for our old ship", and its representative, Martin Slater, resigned from the trust.