VIDEO: Subaru Impreza and Ford Escort collide at Plymouth bus stop, narrowly missing pedestrian and baby
This is the dramatic moment when two cars crashed on a busy Plymouth street, narrowly missing a pedestrian and a baby.
The blue Subaru Impreza, driven by 28-year-old Calburn Mitchell, hit the back of a red three-door Ford Escort driven by 26-year-old Wayne Bailey after they both pulled in front of a double-decker Plymouth Citybus.
A woman about to cross the road had to jump back to avoid being hit by debris from the cars, dramatic CCTV screened to a jury showed.
The Impreza clipped a stationary Citroen Xara Picasso with a small child in a car seat in the back, Plymouth Crown Court heard.
But luckily nobody was hurt in the accident in Wolseley Road.
Mitchell has already pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and banned from the road for 20 months.
A jury at Plymouth Crown Court yesterday acquitted Bailey of dangerous driving, but found him guilty of driving without due care and attention. The panel found he had not been racing before the accident.
He was fined but escaped a driving ban.
The court was shown pictures from CCTV cameras in the bus, carrying about 20 passengers, which was passed by both cars.
One camera captures the moment the Impreza hits the Escort GTi, propelling it straight over the zebra crossing.
A couple, entirely innocent in the crash, are then seen pulling their child from its seat in a stationary Citroen.
Bailey, of Melrose Avenue, Pennycross, denied driving the Ford Escort dangerously on February 12 last year.
Jonathan Barnes, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said both Bailey and Mitchell knew each other.
He added they were travelling at just over the 30mph speed limit as they headed away from the Milehouse junction.
But Mr Barnes said that they were travelling too fast on the busy road – with the bus going at 5mph to 10mph as it slowed to let the woman cross.
The jury heard after conviction that Bailey has two convictions for driving while disqualified.
Piers Norsworthy, for Bailey, said the convictions had been in his youth but he has since “grown up”.
He added he had three children and was working as a car valet and as the coach to a football team in which the players have cerebral palsy.
Judge Paul Darlow told Bailey: “Your driving fell below the expected standard.”
Bailey was fined £650, with £175 costs and ordered to pay £15 victim surcharge. His licence was endorsed with nine penalty points.
Mitchell, who gave an address of Wordsworth Crescent in North Prospect, was last year disqualified from driving for 20 months.
He was given a 12-month community order with 200 hours unpaid work and ordered to pay £85 costs.
Officer in the case Sgt Andy Heath said after the hearing: “Where evidence of poor driving exists, we will pursue the case. This standard of driving will not be tolerated.”