Woman aged 93 hurt in Plymouth flat fire
A 93-YEAR-OLD woman burnt her hands as she tackled a fire in a flat.
The pensioner, who lives alone in Stoke, tried to put out a kitchen blaze but was left with minor burns on Saturday afternoon.
An unattended pan overheated on a gas hob and flames set fire to a nearby tea towel.
She was treated at the scene by firefighters and paramedics and did not have to go to hospital.
NEW FROM SYMPLY - a wet dog food in a tray freshly steamed with real meat and veg you can see minimum of 68% meat content up to 72% in the adult trays.
Terms: Come and try tray at introductory price of £1
Contact: 01271 440626
Valid until: Friday, January 31 2014
Fire commanders have warned residents not to fight fires but to switch off the heat, get out of the kitchen and call 999.
Two crews from the Greenbank station were called to the first floor flat in Wingfield Road at 12.30pm.
Watch commander Richard House said a pan had been left unattended and overheated, setting fire to a tea towel left on a grill.
He added the woman tried to put out the fire but burnt her hands.
Mr House said neighbours alerted by an alarm used a fire extinguisher, but were beaten back by heavy smoke.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus fully put out the blaze.
Mr House said: "It was only a small fire. The kitchen suffered minor damage and will need some cleaning up, but it should be habitable.
"The lady was upset and will be uncomfortable for a few days. From our point of view, anyone who sees a fire such as this should not attempt to tackle it. They should switch off the heat, get out and call the fire brigade. She was left with minor burns on her hands and was breathing in smoke for longer than she should have been."