Woman dies after eating a poisonous mushroom
A woman suffered fatal organ failure after eating a poisonous mushroom while foraging in a garden, it emerged yesterday.
Christina Hale, 57, died after consuming the death cap mushroom – one of the most poisonous in the world.
She was rushed to intensive care at Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton, on November 18, but she died the next day.
Her husband ate a smaller amount of the fungi and was also admitted to hospital but has now reportedly returned to their home in Bridgwater, Somerset.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
The death cap mushroom – Amanita phalloides – is the most common fungus to cause death in humans because of its similar appearance to safe varieties.
It is often mistaken for a common field mushroom but just half a cap is enough to kill.
An inquest into Mrs Hale’s death was opened and adjourned by West Somerset Coroner Michael Rose, in Taunton.
A full hearing will take place at a later date.
Mr Rose said yesterday: “The cause of death was multiple organ failure due to poisoning by the death cap mushroom.