Call for action over asbestos flat
A PENSIONER from Crediton fears for his health because his council flat is riddled with one of the most toxic types of asbestos.
Peter Bearder, 67, has lived at Brays Close for seven years and says there are traces of the mineral within the wall cavities in almost every room.
He claims a vent in his kitchen has not been fitted property and remains permanently open, resulting in traces of the substance being blown onto his work surfaces.
Mr Bearder said blue asbestos is contained within the southern wall of his kitchen.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
He said: "The vents don't work because of bad workmanship and all of the surfaces where I prepare my food get contaminated by asbestos dust. When a workman took off the vent, he told me it should not be like that, and it has been poisoning me since I moved in there."
A spokesperson for Mid Devon District Council said Mr Bearder refuses contractors entry to the property, which he denies: "A number of council properties and, indeed private housing across Mid Devon, may have asbestos-containing materials in their construction and, managed properly, do not need approval."