Two fresh strike dates announced by firefighters
Two more strikes have been planned by Westcountry firefighters in the run-up to bonfire night.
The Fire Brigades Union (FBU) announced the industrial action, which follows one strike and a second called off at the last minute.
Lee Howell, chief fire officer for Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service, said plans would be put in place to cope with the action.
"Fire and Rescue Services have contingency plans and ours will again be put into place ahead of these dates for industrial action," he said.
NEW IN : for those cold winter nights highland check dog and cat beds in stock, fleecy and washable ideal for those nights snuggling by the fire...... available in 3 colourways
Contact: 01271 440626
Valid until: Saturday, January 25 2014
"Our plans worked well during the first period of action, but we are asking the public to help us again by taking extra care.
"We will continue to respond to 999 calls and do everything we can to keep the public safe."
Phil Martin, head of community fire safety for the service, asked for help from the public.
"You can help us again by taking extra care and time to think about fire safety in your home during this period - checking smoke alarms, ensuring you know what you would do if there was a fire and not making unnecessary calls to the fire and rescue service."
He urged people to read fire safety advice on the service's website www.dsfire.gov.uk
The action mounts an escalation in the row over pensions and retirement ages.
The government wants firefighters to work up to 60, an age the FBU says is too old for such physical work
FBU members are due to walk out on November 1 from 6.30-11pm and on November 4 from 6-8am.
In the first round of action last month, 32,000 union members in England and Wales walked out, the FBU said.
A second strike was called off earlier this month after progress was made during talks.
The FBU postponed the five-hour strike saying that the government and fire employers had shifted their position and recognised that firefighters faced losing their jobs and a "large chunk" of their pensions under new changes imposed in April.
However, the FBU now says the government and fire employers have failed to offer any firm guarantees on jobs or pensions.
FBU general secretary Matt Wrack said: "The Westminster government has created this mess, but it is refusing to clear it up.
"It now recognises the problem but it won't provide the legal and financial guarantees firefighters need to ensure they have a job and an unreduced pension in the future."
Fire minister Brandon Lewis said: "Talks were progressing encouragingly and in good faith so for the FBU to walk away after only four days of negotiation is completely baffling."
He said the government had matched the fitness terms accepted in Scotland and the government had facilitated talks between the FBU and their employers over the issue of firefighter fitness.